Sunday, April 28, 2024

Writing Advice: Create Relationships, Not Just Ships

Writing Advice: Create Relationships, Not Just Ships

While shipping can certainly add an exciting layer of intrigue to a narrative, there's something profoundly meaningful about fostering and celebrating actual relationships within the world of storytelling.

(And it definitely has nothing to do with the fact my ships are never cannon)

Look, I get it. I'm a sucker for shipping stuff. I think some of them are great fun, but I need to know that the teasing the author is doing will pay off in the end, otherwise I just don't see the point besides setting the ship on fire with oil while the other one sails away.

I love relationships, I love everything that comes with them. The commitment, the over-protectiveness, the cutesy stuff, the weird things couples do but they can do them because they're in a relationship with each other. The way couples can read each other's minds. Sure you can do this stuff without your characters getting together, but it's a different feeling when they are.

Having crushes is normal, and having those crushes drag on is also normal, but waiting until the last book until they get together, while it can make for some fine storytelling. Doesn't give you any room to actually explore what they're like as an actual couple.

It's one of those, they said "I love you" and now they live happily ever after sort of thing and I want to know what their life is like now that they're together.

Some people don't stay in relationships after they move in together because the person they had a crush on, isn't the same person they live with. Show this side of relationships as well!

You created a ship, and in the very last chapter the ship sails...does it reach its destination, or does it sink? What happened on the ship? There still are plenty of questions left to answer and those are the questions I wish more authors wrote about.

Am I salty my ship wasn't cannon? Yes, but please create more relationships and not just ships.

No comments:

Post a Comment