Friday, June 21, 2024

Dragonfire Sphere of Eternity Review


Dragonfire Sphere of Eternity Review 
The cover of Dragonfire: Sphere of Eternity. It show an imaige of a white dragon with blue eyes starting at a blue see through dragon with white eyes as their in a blue, icy cave.



Holy, hell, I finally read Dragonfire: Sphere of Eternity and I got some thoughts on it.

First of all, no hate for the author, but I wasn’t expecting this book to be as long as it was. I’m actually impressed I finished it within a month. The book, according to Amazon is around 431 pages and it certainly feels like it. Look, I’m a slow reader. At most, I can read maybe three chapters in a day. A book this long, I was fine until page 300 where I just wanted it to end.

In saying that, it’s not a bad book, just kind of...mid. A perfectly fine book to give to a young reader who hasn’t been introduced to a lot of stereotypical tropes but if you have to choose from this or Wings of Fire, go with Wings of Fire.

Dragonfire: Sphere of Eternity, is a classic hero’s journey story, where the main character, Blaze gets forced into an adventure only to discover he’s the chosen one with special cool powers that no one else has and only he can fight off the darkness which threatens to destroy the world. Along with him is the obvious love interest whose main role is being the healer, the goofy side character, and the badass fighter girl who is only there to be a love interest for the goofy side character and doesn’t really do much come to think of it. All of Blaze's friends join him on his adventure for...some reason and they have a jolly old time.

Near the end of the book, the party splits off for no reason, like...you’ve journeyed together and been through so much, this is the point you’re splitting apart? Because it’ll be dangerous? All of you have plot armour, so it’ll be fine, why are you splitting apart at this exact moment? Isn’t this book about friendship or something? Why are you splitting apart now?

Anyway...

Dragonfire has all of your favourite tropes, the fish out of water, I don’t think I’m in love. Just the classical we’re friends trope which later turns into the family trope. You also can’t forget the Hero’s Journey trope, the chosen one trope. You get the point.

While none of these tropes are bad by themselves, the story doesn’t put a unique spin on them so if you read one of them, you already know what to expect in this story.

There’s no urgency in the story. I wasn’t afraid any of the characters weren’t gonna make it. Despite this book being over 400 pages long, they only go to four locations...five if you count a detour to the end goal. The dragon village was cool but it’s very early on in the story, and you don’t spend a lot of time with them. I also forgot if there were any other characters besides Blaze, Risha, Boltock, and Ember. I guess there’s Tarwin, but she’s barely in the story and I forgot about her at one point.

The main villain I didn’t care for. I ended up skipping the climax of the final fight just because I knew Blaze would win and nothing bad would happen, and also because I couldn’t care less for the main villain.

I’ll say this, however, near the beginning, this story was written in a way in which I could’ve seen it being turned into a graphic novel. I thought it had a strong opening and great world-building that I would’ve enjoyed seeing in a graphic novel format.

Also...stop...using...the word...cripple...stop.

In the end, this book isn’t harmful and doesn't break new ground in its storytelling which is fine, not every story needs to be unique. I think this book is a safe bet to give to your children, hopefully, with its length it’ll keep them entertained for a bit and yeah...that’s about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment